Benji


Ugh, my brain is definitely feeling depleted of any shred of inspiration as I just watched one painful hour of television know as 'Shedding for the Wedding'. My morbid curiosity got the better of (as well as my shameful secret interest in bizarre reality tv shows) but uh, that is one hour of my life I will continue to regret having given away to the CW.
Anywho let me think back to better times, earlier in the day when I was thinking more clearly and actually chose to crack open a book. I'm reading Walter Isaacson's bio of Benjamin Franklin which I'm loving so far. The quote of the day was some advice given to Franklin courtesy of one Salem witch hunting Cotton Mather.

He warned, "Let this be a caution to you not always to hold your head so high. Stoop young man, stoop - as you go through this world - and you'll miss many hard thumps."

This quote hit home as I always look back at moments when I've allowed myself to become prideful and realize that first of all I usually sounded like a complete fool and end up feeling like a big jerk, and rightly so. However should you ever find me needing a good dose of humility please remind me of the fact that I voluntarily watched 'Shedding for the Wedding' and that should bring me back down to earth :)

3 comments:

Sarah M said...

I love Benji! This book will go on my list of books to read. When I was in 9th grade I felt very inspired by him and put a bunch of quotes from him around my room (we were studying early American literature).

Danielle Hatch said...

yea for the founding fathers! we should revive our swellesley book group as a place to suggest good books to each other and read them as we have time. thanks again for the parenting book suggestions!

Sarah M said...

You're very welcome! I remember trying to read 1776 with you and maybe Jonina right after we graduated, and it totally didn't click with me. It seems that there are very specific books that I can just breeze through and others that are just grueling. My last two books epitomize these: Omnivore's Dilemma took me the better part of three months, after which I picked up Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, which I finished in three days. Both good books, I recommend them.

Post a Comment