The House that Lawrence Built


I just had a look at this slideshow of photographs from the home of conceptual artist Lawrence Weiner. Seeing his photograph brought me back to my senior year at Wellesley, where Mr. Weiner came to campus for week as a visiting artist. Before he gave the standard artist lecture he had agreed to meet up for coffee with one of the 300 level art classes that I was taking at the time. It was one of the most awkward half hours of my life. There were about four of us sitting around a table with him and I don't remember any of us asking him a single question. Truthfully I didn't have any idea who he was and it hadn't occurred to me to google him or actually check out a book from the art library. As painful as it was at the time, I kind of like looking back and always having that memory of the odd 30 minutes I spent with Lawrence Weiner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment